What is Respite Care?
Many caregivers are so busy in their daily lives that they never take the time to research respite care. If they did, they would discover that it would not only benefit their loved one, but also their own mental and physical well being.
It is also important that caregivers not feel guilty about establishing scheduled respite care. In fact, sharing your caregiving duties will benefit all parties. Having time to relax and refresh will provide a renewed energy for taking care of your loved one.
When Should You Consider Respite Care?
If you are acting as the primary caregiver for someone who needs constant, around-the-clock care, you likely need and deserve time to do your own thing and take care of yourself. No one should be expected to do the job alone.
Whether you are looking after a loved one with autism, a senior in your life, someone who is physically challenged, or someone with a disease such as Alzheimer’s, a little time off is absolutely necessary for your own health and well-being.
Our respite care services provided by Nova Home Care & Staffing will help mitigate the problems that around-the-clock care can cause caregivers, such as depression, exhaustion, and stress.
Common Situations Where Respite Care is Needed
Some of the most common scenarios in which a caregiver might consider hiring respite care include, but are not limited to:
- Disability Respite Care – We provide respite care for caretakers of individuals with disabilities or diseases that impair them, such as MS or Parkinson’s.
- Mental Health Respite Care – Mental health respite care services can greatly improve the lives of those who suffer from mental health conditions such as dementia and Alzheimer’s.
- End of Life Respite Care – This service offers crucial support to you and your loved one during the end of life process.
- Palliative Respite Care – Palliative care is a type of specialized medical care provided to those who are suffering from a serious illness.
- Senior Care – For seniors who need help with everyday tasks or someone to look over them while their normal caretaker is away, our senior respite care service can put your mind at ease.
Types of Respite Care Services
Respite care is available for all kinds of situations and should be seriously considered if you’re never able to find any time for yourself.
In-home respite care from Nova Nursing can include a wide range of caregiving services. In addition to standard services like companion care and personal care, our local agencies offer a number of specialized services, including Alzheimer’s care and dementia care.
Some of the most common tasks performed by our respite caregivers include:
- Light housekeeping
- Meal preparation
- Medication reminders
- Assistance with activities of daily living (such as dressing, grooming, and bathing)
In most cases, respite care is provided on a short-term or temporary basis. However, respite visits can also be performed on a routine basis on a weekly, biweekly, or monthly schedule. Our flexible approach to care planning and scheduling is designed to make sure you and your loved one get the respite care services you need.
Our Respite Care Services
The skilled nurses at Nova Home Care are available to provide care for all types of respite care needs. Some of the specific situations and services that we provide respite care for include:
As a caregiver, spending time away from the loved one you take care of may be necessary from time to time. You will experience peace of mind while your loved one enjoys a stimulating and supportive environment.
Benefits of Receiving Respite Care
Respite care provides benefits for both the caregiver and the loved one being cared for:
- Respite care provides the normal caregiver a chance to receive a mental and physical break from their duties.
- It gives the caregiver a chance to recharge their energy and relieve stress.
- Caregivers can have peace of mind knowing that their loved one is being looked after by a specialized aide.
- It’s healthy for both you and your loved one to interact with people other than just each other, and respite care gives both parties the opportunity to do so.
- Your loved one will get to enjoy a change of pace by interacting with a new person while still receiving the same level of care that you’ve been providing.
- Respite cares gives the caregiver some time to focus on themselves and their own projects or other responsibilities.
- Both parties get to have a little space and a chance to find perspective.
These are just a handful of the benefits you and your loved one can experience with scheduled respite care for whatever the situation is.
Length of Respite Care
There is no set length of time for respite care.
For some people, hiring a respite care service so they can go get lunch with a friend is enough. Others may want to take a week off or go on vacation. No matter what you require to refresh yourself, our respite care services are accommodating and easily schedulable.
If you need time for yourself, we can help you get it.
Respite Care From Nova Home Care & Staffing
If you are interested in respite care services, look no further than Nova Home Care & Staffing. Our staff is made up of certified home health aides, certified nursing assistants, and skilled nurses that can fulfill basic tasks to more specialized care. Contact us today to discuss respite care.